Forums Welcome to NABPM Citywide optimism
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Lance Thompson
    302 Posts

Yeah……

Real estate experts say that while winning a pro sports franchise championship doesn’t necessarily make property values in the city "immediately skyrocket", it definitely brings about citywide optimism that will definitely boost the city’s notoriety. Many of them DO agree that a franchise becoming "a dynasty" and winning MULTIPLE CHAMPIONSHIPS definitely boosts property values in a city though. Unfortunately, so far the only real powerhouse of cities that we’ve seen who has been successful in building dynasties in the last 20 years has been the City of Boston with the New England Patriots winning 6 Superbowls since 2000 and making it to 10, the Boston Red Sox who have won 4 MLB Championships since 2000 and the Boston Celtics who won the NBA Championship back in 2007. A number of real estate investors who invest in Boston agree that those 3 franchises winning so many championships since 2000 has definitely driven up the value of property in Beantown……that’s undeniable.

Back during the 1970s the industry that built Pittsburgh was the steel industry which was shrinking, receding and laying-off and the industries that built Cleveland were iron-&-steel manufacturing, automobile manufacturing, transportation equipment, metal products and electrical machinery, all of which were also shrinking, receding and laying off. BOTH cities were hurting economically. Well back during the 1970s the Pittsburgh Steelers won 4 Superbowls while on the other hand all of the Cleveland sports franchises continued in a tradition of losing and of breaking their city’s collective hearts. A number of business owners and real estate investors say that the Pittsburgh Steelers are THE ONLY REASON why Pittsburgh’s economy prospered back during the 1970s and 1980s and that while steel companies were packing up offices and leaving, other companies in other industries were moving in and replacing them. Cleveland on the other hand?? When their main 5 industries began closing down offices and plants and going elsewhere, new companies had no desire to come there and setup shop because a number of business owners said that they just didn’t like “the attitude” in the City of Cleveland. A few of them came out and said that people in Cleveland were “too pessimistic” which made it a town where companies chose not to do business. In other words, companies simply bypassed Cleveland.

The thing is this….for some reason or another Americans and companies all over the world want to setup shop and move to cities who have winning sports franchises. They just love being around that winning atmosphere! Especially winning NFL and MLB franchises. Those are the 2 sports where having a dynasty has a “tangible” impact on the local economy of that City where that franchise is located. Make NO mistake about it. You live in a City where the pro football team or the pro baseball team builds a dynasty?? You’ll definitely see an increase in property values in that City over time.

Will the Washington Nationals become a dynasty?…….God only knows……I can tell you as a resident of this city that before they won the MLB World Series on Wednesday Night that race-relations in DC were absolutely TERRIBLE…..just horrible…..white people in our city didn’t want to talk to or be “friendly” with black people and black people didn’t want to talk to or be “friendly” with white people. I’m not saying that it’s turning into a city where people across racial lines just walk up and “hug” people that they don’t know, but I DO know this…..I’ve been out & about twice since Thursday and have had 2 separate white guys who I didn’t know from Adam just come up and start talking to me about the Nats. Both of them just beaming with joy!! One of them even had his Son with him and you know how “protective” people are when they’ve got their kids with them. Good people the Nats have brought this city a joy and an optimism like I’ve never seen in nearly 30 years of having lived here. I’ve never seen anything like this “new mood” in our city. All I can say is sheeeeiddddd……Go Nats!!……Y’all go on and build a dynasty!! And while I don’t think we can count on the Redskins or the Wizards…..Hey Caps?!?! We’ll take y’all winning a couple more of those NHL Championships too!

#1562 Reply
    Lance Thompson
    302 Posts

#1567 Reply
    Lance Thompson
    302 Posts

Was just listening to Bloomberg Radio this afternoon on Friday, November 8th, 2019 and guess what they just reported…….Their research shows that restaurants in the Washington, DC neighborhood where Nats Park is located…..(where the Nationals play) are reporting that sales TRIPLED during the 3 games of the World Series played here in the Nation's Capitol. Sales also went UP at the "watch parties" held at area bars who were airing the 4 games played in Houston.

Just illustrates exactly what I've read and am reporting here.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Reply To: Citywide optimism

Your information: